Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Dizzy Gillespie - The Complete RCA Victor Recordings

I am currently working my way through Dizzy Gillespie The Complete RCA Victor Recordings (1937-49). I am struck by the technical skills displayed along with the fresh quality of the music. This compilation was recommended to me for a good overall sampling of Gillespie's music. The contrast and comparison between big band with an emergence of bebop, and Latin jazz are a great introduction for the new listener. In addition, tunes such as "Ool-Ka-Yoo" provide a good example of scat singing.



Overall, I would rate the compilation highly for the reasons I mention above and for its ability to communicate the high energy style which is associated with Dizzy. I could not help myself from tapping my feet even after a very long night. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments: